Genealogy home page
Scrapbook from Ickenham (part 1)
These extracts are from a scrapbook given to me by one of my relatives; the scrapbook contains a lot of cutouts from papers of unknown origin. There are no clues to the paper and the only information is that some of the clips have a date above them. It will take a long time to OCR all of them - I will get there eventually!!!
part1 part2 part3 part4

An interesting event occurred at Uxbridge Union Workhouse on Monday, when Fanny Collins, an inmate of the infirmary, celebrated her hundredth birthday. Fanny was born on 5th February, 1800, and on the occasion spoken of as having come off on Monday she was the recipient of congratulatory messages by poet, telephone and telegraph. Several ladies called during the day and brought presents to gladden the old lady’s heart. One present received was a nice birthday cake supplied by Mr. F. Cooper, High-street, Uxbridge, which bore the inscription "With best wishes to Fanny Collins, age 100 years, Feb, 5th, 1900." It is needless to add that the centenarian was very grateful to her kind donor.
The subject of our notice first saw the light at Ruislip Common, where she had lived with her father (himself a native of the parish of Ruislip), and mother for years. The father's name was Thomas Collins and he had been a shepherd at Manor Farm, Ruislip, at that time occupied by Mr. Wilshin. Mrs. Collins had been a cook in her maiden days. Fanny is one of a family of four sons and three daughters and has outlived all her brothers and sisters. Her start in life was as a humble dairymaid in the neighborhood of her home. Being active and industrious she progressed to the honorable sphere of a housekeeper and as such filled situations in the houses of the late Mr. Matheson, farmer, Eastcote, and of Mr. Rush, Eastbury, at each place for many year-. As a servant she gained the esteem of her employers and earned the respect of all who knew her as an industrious woman. To her brothers she was ever kind and ready to lend a helping hand. Never known to be idle, her needle, when other duties allowed, was always stitching and patching, patchwork being her delight. Miss Collins never traversed far from the scene of her childhood, her situations all being within the precincts of Ruislip, Eastcote and Eastbury. Her figure was a familiar one for years at Uxbridge market whither she went on behalf of her uncle Mr. Matheson, farmer, Eastcote, with produce. She has paid £5 for one sack of flour at the shop now occupied by Mrs. Bradfield, and has taken home £22 for one load of wheat after paying Mr. Bassett market toll. She has brought from Eastcote 14lbs of butter a week to the Old Treaty House, in the time of the running of the old stage coaches, and has given 11d, per llb for moist sugar. After going home one day from market she found her chest of drawers had been broken open and £47 extracted. Miss Collins has been blessed with very good health. One misfortune she has had and that was she never could read, but this drawback did not prevent her from being an interesting person. Of a cheerful and jolly disposition her company was much sought after by her friends. When advancing years precluded her continuing in service she retired to live on her savings at a cottage at King's End, Ruislip. The loneliness of her retirement aroused the sympathies of her friends and the aged woman was persuaded to accept more cheerful quarters at her sister-in-law's house in Hillingdon-road, Uxbridge. Here she lived for some years until circumstances necessitated her sister-in-law's (herself an old lady) removal to the union. Fanny was then offered a comfortable home at her nephew's at Ruislip. Thither the went to stay but old age had begun to work its way and to prey upon her mind. She was a little "hoity-toity," and one fine day in the height 0f last summer - on one of the hottest days experienced, Fanny took it into her head to start and walk to Uxbridge, a feat at her great age utterly beyond her strength. She managed to toddle the length of Harefield-road, where overcome with exhaustion she slipped on a stone, and fell into the ditch. As Mr. F. Gregory, billposter, was riding past in his trap he observed the hapless condition of the old lady. He had her conveyed to her niece's house at the bottom of the High-street, where it was found on medical examination that Fanny had badly cut her temple. Her injuries were carefully attended to and then she was conveyed to the Union infirmary which she entered on the 19th July last. There she has remained ever since and there she at present is looking very well and feeling well. Our representative had the pleasure of shaking hands with her on Wednesday morning and found her bright to talk to. Fanny's memory and hearing are gone a little bit, but in her other facilities seems quite alert.


A CAPITAL joke is related of a man who positively made a fine art of meanness. When traveling, as he very often did, he would keep railway porters busily attending to his luggage, and then purposely defer the much-deserved perquisite till the starting of the train made its payment practically impossible.
One morning however, when about to journey to Birmingham he executed this manoeuvre once too often on the same man.
" Dear ! dear I am so sorry,' he said, as the train give a lurch forward. "I quite forgot to get change"
" And I am rale sorry, too, sir," was the porter's dry retort; "I quite forgot about that brown portmantay of yours -it's lying on the platform,"



An enquiry of ours in our leader columns some few weeks back has brought us, from unimpeachable authority, the following very interesting information.
From a hook entitled "The Mistakes we Make," by C. E. Clark, I take the following extract. "Shoreditch as a matter of fact really takes its name from the old family of Soerdiches who were Lords of the Manor in the time of Edward III. Stowe mentions a house at Hackney called Shore Place which was probably the mansion of Sir John Soerdiche who was one of the brothers-in-arms of the Black Prince." The family is also mentioned in Cassell's " Old and New London," Chapter 25 on Shoreditch. The Parish Magazine for June 1885 of St. Michael's, Shoreditch, has this notice: "Sordig, Sordich, Soresditch and Shoredyeb, for by these names it is called in ancient records, is of imperfect origin. The manor of Shoreditch gave name to a very eminent family of whom Sir John de Sordig was Ambassador from Edward III to the Pope to remonstrate against the frequent presentations of non-resident foreigners to English Benefices. He was buried in Hackney Church." The family of Shoreditch afterwards removed to Ickenham in Middlesex, where it devolved on Elizabeth Shoreditch of Ickenham-1784. It at one time ranked amongst the wealthiest commoners of England, having lands in Hackney, Shoreditch, Hillingdon, Hendon, Uxbridge and Ickenham.
There are monuments to the family in St. Leonard's and St. Michael's, Shoreditch, also in Ickenham Church. The mural tablets in this latter had been removed some time back, I was told, for the purposes of cleaning the walls. I trust they have been restored to their original places. Some from their ancient dates could testify to the antiquity of that sweet little village church. None but one family has ever borne the name ; hence it is uncommon.


Two little ones grown tired of play
Roamed by the sea one summer day,
Watching the great waves come and go,
Prattling as children will, you know,
Of dolls and marbles, kites and strings ;
Sometimes hinting at graver things.

At last they spied within their reach
An old boat cast upon the beach ;
Helter skelter, with merry din,
Over its sides they scrambled in
Ben, with lrs tangled nut-brown hair,
Bess, with her sweet face, flushed and fair.

Rolling in from the briny deep,
Nearer, nearer, the great waves creep
Higher, higher up the sands,
Reaching out with their giant hands,
Grasping the boat in boisterous glee,
Tossing it up and out to sea.

The sun went down with clouds of gold ;
Night came with footsteps damp and cold ;
Day dawned ; the hours crept slowly by ;
And now across the sunny sky
A dark cloud stretches far away,
And shuts the golden gates of day.

A storm comes on, with flash and roar,
While all the sky is clouded o'er ;
The great waves rolling from the west,
Bring night and darkness on their breast ;
Still floats the boat through driving storm.
Protected by God's powerful arm.

The home-bound vessel, ,Sea-bird, lies
In ready trim 'twixt sea and skies ;
Her captain paces restless now,
A troubled look upon his brow ;
While all his nerves with terror thrill—
A shadow of some coming ill.

The mate comes up to where he stands,
And grasps his arm with eager hands ;
" A boat has just swept past," says he,
" Bearing two children out to sea;
'Tis dangerous now to put about,
Yet they can not be saved without."

"Naught but their safety will suffice;
They must be saved !" the captain cries;
" By every thought that's just and right,
By lips I hope to kiss to-night,
I'll peril vessel, life and men,
And God will not forsake me then."

With anxious faces, one and all,
Each man responded to the call,
And when at last, through driving storm,
They lifted up each little form,
The captain started with a groan,
" My God!" he cried, "they are my own."





At Christ Church, Mintern-street,.New North-road, Islington, yesterday, at half-past nine, was solemnised the marriage of George Augustus Keen, A.B. sea-man, and Adelaide Carr, of 327, New North-road, There was so large en attendance of guests, mostly unbidden—about 25,000 of them, in fact—that only a very small number could be accommodated in the church. The others had to be content to wail, outside, and to cheer the happy pair as they left, a duty which the crowd discharged enthusiastically. After the ceremony the wedding breakfast, followed by a strictly limited reception, took place by kind permission of the owners of the premises, in a shop window in Essex-road. The unbidden guests, who for obvious reasons could not be invited in had an open: air and joyous, if demonstrative gathering in Essex-road and neighbouring streets, police men mounted or on feet acting as stewards, and keeping ladies and gentlemen, for their own sakes, on the move, as far as motion of any kind was feasible in the crush. Once or twice the outside gathering nearly got inside, through the window, the pressure on which all but smashed it in. Happily, policemen managed to restrain the flattering eagerness of the crowd, and none of the uninvited guests landed on the luncheon table.
Early on Saturday evening the unbidden portion of the wedding party began to gather in Essex-road. One penny per head was charged for admission to the shop window and five minutes admiration of the tables set out for the luncheon. A total sum of £5 1s 6d, including a dozen sixpences, was thus realised, and will be handed over to charity. By nine o'clock yesterday morning not only Essex-road, but adjoining streets, were crammed. An hour later, when the wedding party proper sat down to lunch, most of the neighbourhood was blocked, tramways and 'buses stopped. No one could approach within a quarter of a mile of the shop window, and the crowd was quite credibly estimated at 25,000 persons. It was an amazing marriage! Mrs. George Augustus Keen, to whom the representative of The Daily Telegraph had the honour of being introduced when she was still Miss Carr, did not mind much the drawbacks of the situation. Anyhow, the ten-guinea brass bedstead and the champagne lunch were well worth the trifling inconvenience of a little publicity. As she observed, when she first closed with the offer, she was going to take jolly good care she did not, as had a previous bride, back out at the eleventh hour, and she did not. She sat pluckily and coolly through the lunch, facing the window, the easement of which framed a - curious picture o hundreds of faces pressed against the panes, and arms and caps waving above. On Saturday Miss Carr that was a trifle nervous about showing herself when she came to inspect the preparations, as she was afraid of the crowd, which then already had gathered in the street, becoming familiar with her face—a pretty, gentle, rather plaintive little face, with a white, almost waxen complexion, and a small nose somewhat tip-tilted. But on the great day George Augustus Keen bore up gallantly. All in white silk, with a wreath of orange blossoms on her light brown hair, as she stepped out of the church into one of the four carriages which conveyed the party to the shop she looked bravely round at the crowd, and merely nodded to the shouts of “Hooray!” “Buck up!" "Don't be afraid," while the bridegroom, sturdy and well set-up in his black Sunday suit, gave but a flitting glance to the scene, and was heard, as he buried himself quickly away from eight in the carriage, to ejaculate some prayer for a blessing on his stars. At luncheon, Mrs. George Augustus Keen never winced when the crowd nearly broke through the window. The bashful mariner, her husband, on the contrary, was decidedly shy. He kept one eye on that weird picture of faces, as long as the blinds were up, and breathed more freely, and ate and drank more heartily, when they were afterwards drawn down. Mrs. Keen mere, a lady of most dignified demeanour, preserved perfect composure, and was not displeased to show that she knew now to deport herself with a gravity befitting the occasion. Within the shop window—though without there were some lively moments between the police and the crowd—luncheon proceeded with order and regularity. The tables strewn with white flowers and decorated with silver surtouts, among which towered the four-foot high wedding cake, had been placed all round the shop, which had been completely cleared for the occasion. The happy pair occupied places of honour and conspicuousness, facing the window. Once the bidden guests had been safely got inside the shop, and the van of the 25,000 others had been securely shut outside, smart waiters—one hailed from Simpson’s served roast beef and roast fowl, which were succeeded by York ham, tongue, and pressed beef, and washed down with ale. Then came blancmange, jellies, custards, cheese, with champagne, and, to complete the menu quite fashionably, black coffee. Speeches followed, but were rather cut short, as the anxious eye of the shop-owner observed that the outside party was once more trying to get inside through the window. The bridegroom drank to the guests, and the comprehensive toast was fully honoured. The manager of the shop proposed the bride's health. Other speakers were prepared to rise, but it was thought wiser to wish the young couple—their added ages do not make forty-five years—God speed at once, and they drove off to their home, whither the cake was sent on after them, to be cut in privacy, which must have been rather a relief after so much publicity. The ten-guinea bedstead and wedding breakfast offer will, the manager of the shop promises, be renewed once every year, and he wants all prospective brides and bride-grooms to know that it is open, not only to Islingtonians, but to all England. The caterer says, how-ever, that he does not think he will undertake to work a shop-window wedding breakfast again.




The postponement of the local festivities in connection with the Coronation gave rise to rioting of a disgraceful character at Watford on Thursday night and early yesterday morning. The event was to have been celebrated by a round of amusements in Cassiobury Park, which had been lent for the occasion by the Earl of Essex, and a strong committee of the towns-people had provided for a parade of the urban district council, a procession of various trade societies and Volunteers, sports, presentation of money to school children, a dinner to the poor, and a huge bonfire and fireworks. But when the news of the serious illness o his Majesty was received a meeting was' hastily summoned and the members of the committee came to the commendable conclusion that it would be improper at m a time to adhere to a programme which had been arranged at time of public rejoicing. It is not too much to say that every respectable citizen o the Hertfordshire town applauds the action taken by these gentlemen. The nature of the Watford Hooligan, however, did not permit him to understand the loyal and sympathetic feelings which prompted the action of the town committee, and he, being deprived of the amusements he anticipated, endeavoured to find a new outlet for his boisterous spirits. Early on Thursday evening a large number of roughs assembled in the market place, and it was evident to the police that mischief was brewing. Soon after sunset the crowd thinned somewhat, and, no doubt in accordance with a preconceived plan, a move was made to the Harwood estate, on which the wood for the bonfire had been placed. The rowdies speedily set light to the pile and hustled a watchman out of his box in order that his shelter might be added to the flames. Hurdles and palings were also torn down and thrown on the fire. The surveyor, Mr. Water-house, remonstrated with, the mob, but so violent was the demeanour of the roughs that he had to beat a hasty retreat to a house near by, the windows of which were broken by the stones hurled at him.
Having tired of damaging the surrounding property for the purposes of the bonfire, the roughs again trooped into the musket-place, and soon after ten commenced a series of outrages on private property which the police were for a time utterly unable to prevent. It should be mentioned that in consequence of some disturbances at Hemel Hempstead, a portion of the Watford police had been taken away, but had the whole force remained in the town their numbers would probably have been insufficient to cope with the unruly element. Emboldened by the success which had already attended their plans, the mob made an attack on the shop of Mr. Fisher, the chairman of the urban district council, and the only reason that can be imagined why he should be made the butt of the crowd's violence is that he felt it his duty, as chairman of the celebration committee, to propose the postponement of the festivities. Stones were thrown, every window in the front of his premises was demolished, and the iron shutters protecting the shop were pulled down. Having done considerable damage there, the attention of the rowdies was attracted to the drapery establishment on the opposite side of the square be-longing to Mr. Longley, another member of the committee. A hoarding fixed to protect the lower windows was demolished, the plate-glass windows were smashed, and linens, articles of clothing, boots, shoes, and umbrellas thrown into the streets. All the available police were brought to the spot by Superintendent W. Wood, of the Herts Constabulary, and a barrier prevented further depredations for some time. A message was sent for assistance, and the Watford men returned from Hemel Hempstead. From Bushey and St. Albans more constables arrived, and after midnight a detachment from the S Division of the Metropolitan Police, which had been telegraphed for, came to the assistance of the local men. Meanwhile a second rush had been made on Mr. Fisher's house, and a quantity of paper and drapery goods looted from Mr. Longley's premises were burnt in an endeavour to create a conflagration. The fire brigade experienced no little difficulty in reaching the spot, and before they could get to work a dastardly attempt was made to cut the hose. The fire was, however, speedily got under.
At this period matters looked so ominous that it was deemed desirable to take extreme measures, and Mr. W. T. Coles, a magistrate, read the Riot Act. Many peaceable citizens came forward to tend their aid in quelling a disturbance which they considered a disgrace to their town, and in a short space of time Superintendent Wood had enrolled 200 of them as special constables, and armed them with truncheons. The order was then given to clear the streets, and the police, with the new force, soon began to get the crowd under control. Any resistance on the part of the roughs was treated as it deserved, and by half-past two yesterday morning Watford was quiet again. Some fifty arrests of men and woman were made, and in every case the men belonged to the lower class. Two benches of magistrates sat at St. Albans to hear the charges, and most of the prisoners were remanded and taken back to Watford, where, handcuffed in twos, they were marched through the streets to the goal, strongly guarded by police. There were several casualties among the members of the force, Inspector Boutell end several constables being severely hurt by stones, while the horses of the mounted men were badly cut. Among the crowed, it was stated, there were many broken heads a fact which the appearance of the antiquated, but serviceable-looking, weapons placed in the hands of the special constables would seem to bear out. The police spoke in the highest terms of the manner in which the special constables performed their duty.

As the sequel to the abandonment of Coronation festivities, some singular scenes have been witnessed in several places in South Lincolnshire. At Sutton Bridge there was a hostile demonstration against the committee. The malcontents paraded the streets, set fire to a bonfire which had been prepared, and otherwise expressed their displeasure. At Holbeach and other places the Coronation bonfires were prematurely lighted.
A huge bonfire erected on Rodborough-common, overlooking Stroud, was ignited early on Friday morning, despite the presence of a watchman and the supervision of the police. It has taken a week to build, and cost £50, being one of the most prominent in the county.
Great friction has been caused at Harrow owing to the abandonment of the tea and dinner arranged as Coronation festivities. A procession visited the house of Dr. Steven, chairman of the council, where a hostile demonstration, in which tin kettles played a conspicuous part, was indulged in. Yesterday the children of the Waifs and Strays School marched with tickets in their hands to the recreation ground, but there was nothing for them. Another procession was formed last night, and the police and firemen were engaged in guarding the bonfires.